The fertilizer, in simple terms, is an external source of basic nutrients for plants. It contains nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, minerals, etc. which are all very essential components. Mostly, these are used for getting more blooms from flowering plants and for the trees, shrubs, and other plants to grow more healthily. You can find a specific fertilizer for a particular tree or plant.
Best Bonsai Fertilizer
As you may know, Bonsais are built differently than other trees. They are artificially cultivated using techniques like grafting, pruning, root reduction, etc. Bonsais still require frequent fertilization because as known, fertilizer is a pre-requisite for all trees and plants. Let’s have a look at some of the most sought and top-rated plant food for your bonsai trees.
1. 9GreenBox.com Bonsai Fertilizer Pellets
The bonsai fertilizer pellets from 9GreenBox.com have a quality formula for the healthy growth of the plant. This food can be applied every five to eight months. It will help you to keep the tree strong and healthy always from the first dose.
Features of 9GreenBox.com Fertilizer Pellets are:
- It comes in a resealable zip-lock pack to help you have convenient use.
- This bag has a quantity of 5-oz which is enough for most types of trees.
- It has an N-P-K value of 18-6-9.
- A single application of this one will last for a few months.
- It contains more nitrogen compared to other standard fertilizer pellets. This element helps to get more growth and development of the leaves.
- With its time-release formula, this plant food will save you both time and money.
- It works on all the bonsai trees and plants which creates no confusion for the gardeners to choose the right plant food.
2. Greenshower Green Green Plant Food Case
The Green Green fertilizer from Greenshower helps to make a speedy growth of the plants in your garden. As it is flexible to work on all types of plants and trees, you can use it for your bonsai trees and other plants in the garden. You need not purchase different nutrient foods for the various types of plants at your home, which is a big plus point of this product.
Features of Green Green Plant Food by Greenshower are:
- It is full of healthy nutrients like nitrogen, potassium, and phosphoric acid.
- You can directly apply this fertilizer when you change the water in the plantations. A volume of 10 drops of Green Green liquid plant food is enough for a big bucket of water. After one application, it can be replied after a month.
- This pack contains 10 bottles of liquid fertilizer which is more than enough for all the plants in your garden.
- For the best results, I recommend you to use 4-5 drops of this plant food every week on your plants. You can experiment in the initial stages, and then continue according to the output you get from it.
- It has an N-P-K value of 5-10-20.
3. BON-008 Bonsai-Pro Liquid Plant Food by Dyna-Gro
The Dyna-Gro BON-008 is a good fertilizer for both indoor and outdoor plants. It will provide a complete balance of nutrients for the healthy and strong growth of the flowering and green plants and trees. Depending on the requirement of the indoor/outdoor conditions and the type of the plant, you can use this liquid formula to get maximum output.
Features of Dyna-Gro BON-008 Liquid Fertilizer for Bonsai Trees are:
- This professional formulation contains all the required minerals for the bonsai trees.
- It has an N-P-K value of 7-9-5. This fertilizer contains all the sixteen minerals that are needed for the optimum growth of the plant.
- If you want to use it with indoor plants, then take 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of this formula in one gallon of water. If you have outdoor plants, then take 1/2 teaspoon of this plant food per gallon of water.
- If you are providing monthly feeding to your bonsai plants, then take 1 teaspoon of this liquid plant food in a single gallon of water.
- It is available in single pack, two-pack, and four-pack sizes with a volume of 8 oz.
4. Bonsai Fertilizer Pellets by Perfect Plants
The Perfect Plants fertilizer pellets deliver long-term nutrition benefits to your bonsai plants. To attain the optimal health and longevity of your bonsai trees, you can use this slow-release mixture from Perfect Plants. It will release the nutrients into the soil as soon as you apply it.
Features of Perfect Plants Bonsai Tree Fertilizer Pellets are:
- This has an N-P-K value of 18-6-8.
- It provides steady, healthy, and long-term growth to all types of bonsai trees.
- The plant food by Perfect Plants comes in a re-sealable pack and with a quantity that can last for almost five years.
- You can use this formula on all types of live house plants.
- These pellets will give a multi-purpose nutrient boost to the roots for optimal growth. You just need to evenly distribute them around your tree roots, and you will see the difference in the enrichment of the tree for sure.
5. Superfly Bonsai Slow Release Bonsai Fertilizer
The fertilizer from Superfly is specifically made for the bonsai trees. It has a slow-acting formula with balanced nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous ingredients. These nutrients will help to improve the growth of the leaves, better root, and optimal health of your trees.
Features of Superfly Bonsai Slow Release Fertilizer are:
- It has an N-P-K value of 12-4-5 for a premium bonsai growth.
- Its slow-release formula will provide enrichment to the plant over a two to three months period.
- You also get a measuring scoop and the instructions printed on the label which will help you to make accurate feedings to your plant.
- There are four different sizes of this fertilizer pack are available with relevant N-P-K values; 5-ounce (5-7-4), 5-ounce (12-4-5), 2-pound (12-4-5), and 5-pound (5-7-4).
- The company also has a policy of money-return if you are not satisfied with your purchase.
6. Earthworm Technologies EarthPods Bamboo & Bonsai Plant Food
Earthworm Technologies manufactures easy to use plant food capsules for quick and comfortable fertilizing in your garden. You will not need any measuring cups, not have to face any smell, and not need to make your hands dirty while providing the nutrient food to your bonsai and bamboo plants.
Features of Earthpods Bonsai Fertilizer Capsules by Earthworm Technologies are:
- This fertilizer is a premium organic food that will help to get a strong root growth and leaf development across all types of live plants at your home including bonsai, bamboo, cedar, elm, jade, maple, palm, fern, ficus, etc.
- You can push the whole capsule in the soil or can open it and spread the contents around the roots of the plant and then water it.
- As the best organic fertilizer spikes, they contain valuable and high-quality nutrients including natural hormones, minerals, soil microbes, humic + fulvic acid, etc. for an immediate and superior result for the plants.
- This pack contains 100 organic fertilizing capsules packed in a tube container. This supply can last up to almost six years. You can store the container on your kitchen shelf as well because it is 100% organic, environmental, child & pet-friendly.
- The company suggests using this application as; 1-2 Earthpod capsules for small plants, 2-4 Earthpod capsules for medium plants, and 4-8 Earthpod capsules for large plants.
7. Oscomote Smart Release Plant Food
Oscomote provides a coated NPK fertilizer that releases nitrogen, phosphate, potassium, and trace elements. Their balanced feeding program can last as long as 14 months with one easy application. It plays a vital role in improving yield, reducing nutrient losses, and simplifying fertilizer application.
Features of Oscomote Smart Release Plant Food are:
- It’s one applicant contains 11 essential nutrients and can feed up to 6 months.
- It works well with virtually all plant varieties including bonsai and different conditions.
- Each of this fertilizer’s granule is coated with a unique resin that controls nutritional release so that your bonsai trees gets what they need when they need it.
- The company suggests sprinkling 1 scoopful of plant food per 2 gallons or 4 square feet and mix into the top 1-3 inches of soil, water the plant regularly and reapply after 6 months.
- It has an N-P-K value of 15-9-12.
8. New England Bonsai Gardens Uncle Bill’s Liquid Fertilizer
From the New England Bonsai Gardens, here is the liquid supplement for the healthy and strong growth of your trees and other live plants in the garden. It is claimed to be the best liquid fertilizer in the market by the company with its low-dose and long-term enrichment.
Features of New England Bonsai Gardens Uncle Bill’s Liquid supplement are:
- It contains three basic and essential nutrients; nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous, which help to get more healthy foliage, root growth, and colourful, bright fruits & flowers from the plants.
- Its low dose has an N-P-K value of 3-3-3 which is good for a year-round tree.
- This fertilizer is odour free and recommended for use on indoor bonsai trees.
- The company suggests adding one tablespoon of this liquid fertilizer to one gallon of water and apply it after every two weeks in the plant’s growing season.
- The eight fluid ounces bottle lasts about one year which makes you worry-free from buying the frequent plant food for your trees. You can order more bottles at once to get a stock for more years.
Which type of fertilizer should you choose for a bonsai?
Bonsai gardening is not only limited to the growing of miniature trees, but it’s also more than that. You have to deal with the shapes, methods, and arrangements. It requires great skills, care, and patience. Every bonsai tree plant is different and you need to get a suitable fertilizer for its healthy and timely growth. You should buy one that can create an optimum level of salt in the soil when you apply it.
There are two types of bonsai fertilizers available; liquid and pellets (granular). You can choose the form which is easier for you to use on the plants. If you use a liquid bonsai supplement, then it will absorb quickly and act fast. It requires several applications though because whenever you water the plant, the liquid washes away with it. If you use pellet fertilizer for bonsai, they need to water it in while applying it dry. This type is easy to manage as you can visualize how much quantity you are applying. Both types of fertilizers are suitable for the little trees, and most gardeners use both of them for a proper balance.
How to use fertilizer to grow your Bonsai tree?
Firstly, select the type to be used for your bonsai, whether to go for liquid or granulated, organic or non-organic. After selecting the fertilizer type, the second step is to schedule a particular time for when you will be fertilizing your bonsai and sticking to the schedule. As you fertilize, you will get familiar with the process of it and understand what your bonsai needs and what works the best for it to flourish. The more you stick with your fertilizing schedule, the better results you will get.
You should feed your bonsai with fertilizers weekly during the growing seasons. As the growing season comes to an end, the growth of your tree will slow down and it will absorb a lesser and lesser amount of nutrients. As its growth slows down during fall, limit the feeding of fertilizer to once a month.
There is no doubt that these fertilizers will help to make a stronger and smarter growth of the bonsai trees in your garden compared to the normal soil conditions. I have listed both the liquid ones and pellets for the trees. There are organic fertilizers as well as non-organic plant foods. There are fertilizers which have different N-P-K values to help you choose the best food according to the growth stage of your plant.
Which fertilizer will you get for the bonsai tree from the list here? Do you have any suggestions or views on this list guide? Then please mention it in the comment section below. If you liked this fertilizer list, then share it with your friends and family who are new to growing the bonsai trees.